The 2019 D2 Salvage Operation
This article was last updated on: October 11th of 2020
A screenshot of a Mini-DV tape featuring three former students of WHS, between 2007 and 2014.
The lore begins when a Spanish teacher, who had worked in Williamston Community Schools for a while died or moved away in 2014. She was most likely using the D2 classroom since 2007 or maybe even the 1990s. To give you an idea of how long she was working there, the teacher kept some of her old student's projects in storage in the form of videotape. This means she was working long before it became the norm to turn in projects on Youtube, Google Classroom, etc. However, when this teacher passed away, all of her classroom stuff was left behind. The new Spanish teacher didn't know what to do with all of it, and as a result left most of it alone for her first year at WHS, until the end of the 2018-2019 school year, when she finally decided to oust it from her classroom, D2 (located in the D-hall). Rather than allow said teacher to dispose of the merchandise, Charlie Nolan and Sean Kavanagh offered to take it all off her hands. And so, on that fateful day, they threw it all in 2 trash bags and dragged it home on a sled...
A wide varity of merchandise was obtained from the "salvage" run, naturally, most of it is in Spanish. What was recovered consists of videos and tv series, most of which were stored on VHS tapes, a few DVDs, a couple of Mini-DV tapes, and even a Compact Cassette. These tapes include, but are not limited to, old Williamston Weeklys, Educational Spanish TV shows, Spanish projects made by former students, and advertisements. The most infamous of these historical artifacts is the Spanish II Project by Pat Weber and many others, which was made in 1998. Oddly enough, these projects provide the best source of what Williamston High School looked like in its earlier years. Around 50 tapes were recovered, if you include the many VHS tapes that make the educational series such as La Catrina and Destinos. Some of the tapes have been erased and repurposed after being digitally archived. Here is a full list of the relics retrieved from the salvage run that have been converted to digital video and uploaded to YouTube :
- [Compact Cassette] Manheim Steamroller - "A Fresh Aire Christmas".
- [VHS] The Pinata (1989). Educational video, oldest tape recovered from the salvage run.
- [VHS] Teacher's Discovery V144 Action Verbs (Sometime in the 1990s). An English-Spanish comedy that teaches Spanish verbs using movie clips.
- [VHS] Teotihuacan: City of the Gods (1991)
- [VHS] Introducing Mexico: Part 1 (1991). An old documentary about Mexico.
- [VHS] Introducing Mexico: Part 2 (1992)
- [VHS] Destinos (1992, educational series)
- [VHS] Spanish II Project (1998). The oldest Spanish project. This tape is not the original copy, as there are TV programs newer than the Spanish project later in the tape.
- [VHS] "Thomas Rastell" (At least 2002). This another Spanish project.
- [VHS] Williamston Weekly - Williamston High School Homecoming (2005)
- [VHS] Unknown Spanish Project (Probably 2007). This tape had been used for many things, and begins with a series of mashed up clips from shows and previous WHS spanish projects. such as recording an episode of Dr. Phil, and it even overrode a project from 2006, as well as another project from 2007. If you look closely, you can see the girl in the brief clip of the 2007 project is the same girl that begins this project, but with a different hair style, which implies that this project was made shortly after the 2007 one.
- [VHS] A Otro Nivel (2007). This is an educational Spanish video.
- [VHS] Ventanas: Lengua. This is a Spanish comedy made for educational use.
- [VHS] Inside Mexico - Artesianas: Mexican Arts and Crafts Spanish documentary.
- [VHS] MEXICO Tape 1. Another old documentary.
- [VHS] MEXICO Tape 2.
- [VHS] La Semana Santa En Espana. You guessed it, another old documentary.
- [VHS] La Catrina (Season One). Educational Spanish TV series.
- [VHS] La Catrina: El úlitmo Secreto (Season Two)
- [DVD] TEMAS (2012, educational series)
- [Mini-DV Tape] Bits & pieces, bloopers, outtakes, etc., of another old Spanish project (Est. 2006 - 2010)
- [DVD] A Taco Bell ad compilation, in multiple languages. The disc is a burned disc and appears to be limited production, a copy to be used by broadcast stations. So what was it doing in a classroom?